We Are Green
Super-Krete practices being as environmentally responsible as possible in every aspect of our business. Using Super-Krete products and systems can contribute to points under the LEED Certification system.
How do Super-Krete products and their installation make for a “greener” environment?
Super-Krete uses recycled and recyclable materials. Most of Super-Krete’s manufacturing is performed manually and does not require as much energy resource consumption as many other manufacturing processes. Super-Krete recycles all paper materials, pallets, and containers. Additionally, electronic data interchange is being implemented.Products:
Comprised primarily of sand, cement and water, Super-Krete is comprised of some of the most long-lasting construction material elements on earth. Our sand is mined and delivered from relatively local resources. Our cement is manufactured relatively close as well. Super-Krete ready-mix products are 50 lb. bags containing sand, cement and non-toxic chemical additives that allow each product to be installed in different methods (1/8" overlay, thin-set, 1/4" overlay, spray texture, patching, etc.) and are used as a protective, decorative coating over existing concrete in both horizontal and vertical applications (commercial, industrial, residential, interior and exterior). Super-Krete extends the life of concrete structures and slabs everywhere. Rather than removing concrete (which releases toxins into the air we breathe, requires heavy equipment and natural resources, and fills up our landfills) Super-Krete restores existing concrete and extends its life which in turn saves our resources and environment.Super-Krete Color Stains
- are water-based, non-toxic and environmentally friendly coloring products for existing concrete. Use of water-based materials to enhance surfaces is the economical and environmentally friendly way to color concrete over other hazardous methods such as acid staining and use of color hardeners or dust-on color. They are non-acidic, non-reactive products that do no not contain heavy chemicals found in acid stains. They require only the use of water for clean up, keep storm drains clean and free of contaminants and are non-toxic.Super-Krete Heavy Duty Degreaser
– is a biodegradable, industrial cleaner and degreaser that contains less than 10 g/l VOC's making it environmentally safe and green. This product provides easy maintenance without the use of harsh chemicals or acids. It effectively removes all common oils, greases and other contaminants found on concrete and other surfaces.Super-Krete Sealers
- complete all Super-Krete installations by providing a non-porous surface finish that protects and enhances the finished application. Super-Krete sealers have low VOC's under 100 g/l and they contribute to less maintenance and repair as a restorative application.
Super-Krete reduces use of key resources and is user friendly - Using Super-Krete overlay systems is the cost effective alternative to the removal and replacement of concrete. Super-Krete-ing concrete surfaces does not require the use of special heavy equipment, energy resources and fuel. Using the Super-Krete system eliminates the need for construction and demolition debris being disposed of in landfills. It also minimizes site disturbance, including earthwork and clearing vegetation. Our system helps maintain existing natural areas that would be consumed in the removal and replacement process. Our system also eliminates the need to produce more concrete, steel and rebar.
Green Advantages of Using Super-Krete Systems:Sustainable
- Super-Krete provides a system for existing concrete to be turned into a new slab or beautified to the appearance and textures of slate, stone, tile, brick or wood that will not require replacement down the road. Super-Krete also improves the condition of existing concrete, repairing, patching and rehabilitating concrete, and extending the life of existing concrete for many years to come.Reduces Heat Island Effect
- Super-Krete Color-Bond
, Color Stain
paints are available in colors that help reduce heat island effect. Darker colors tend to absorb more heat which in turn increases air conditioning requirements and raises pollution levels. Our color selection allows solar energy to be reflected, water evaporation to be enhanced and concrete to remain cooler than conventional pavements.
Super-Krete works beautifully with radiant floor heating and is unaffected. Radiant systems use less fossil fuel than other systems, and preserve more of our resources for our children and grandchildren. Radiant floor systems can be assisted by solar energy, our cleanest, most renewable energy source.Air Quality
- Super-Krete ready-mix products contain Portland cement which contains an SRI (Solar Reflectance Index) of 35 to 86 which reduces the heat island effect. This factor saves energy by reducing the demand for air conditioning which in turn improves our air quality.
Super-Krete products are sealed with zero to low V.O.C. sealers to protect the finish and provide extremely simple cleaning and maintenance that does not require buffing, polishing, vacuuming or energy use. Super-Krete does not harbor allergens or dust mites, providing a cleaner environment. Super-Krete is easily maintained by simple mop clean-up with our biodegradable cleaners and degreasers.Better Nighttime Visibility
- Super-Krete has colors available that can be used to resurface concrete that can enhance visibility at night. This can potentially reduce lighting requirements and saving both energy and money.Recycled Materials
- Super-Krete Color-Bond
's standard colors contain pigments that are made from over 99% recycled material. The iron oxide pigments are made from byproduct or recycled materials, so they could help qualify for LEED credits under the recycled content category of the Materials and Resources section.Class “A” Fire Rated
- Unfortunately, fires occur routinely in the city. Most fires in the city occur in buildings and homes but fires can start from many other sources such as rubbish, automobiles, and brush. The smoke that is created is an air pollutant and can lower the quality of the air we breathe. Super-Krete products are Class “A” Fire Rated which means they are effective against severe fire test exposure. A Class “A” fire rating is the most stringent rating available for exterior fire resistance. Using Super-Krete on both interiors and exteriors will ensure the best air quality in case of fire because it will not burn and release toxins into the air we breathe.Improved Local Comfort
- Using Super-Krete products in areas where people congregate such as schools, children play areas and parking lots can provide a more comfortable environment.Super-Compliant
- Super-Krete products are listed on the South Coast Air Quality Management Division's (SCAQMD) SUPER COMPLIANT architectural coatings list, indicating that our products contain less than 10 g/l of Volatile Organic Compounds as they are installed as well as during the amount of time needed for the products to fully cure. SCAQMD provides the strictest regulations yielding the maximum of cleanest environments in the nation.
Super-Krete continuously strives to develop environmentally friendly products and applications. As the industry develops what it truly means to be “Green”, Super-Krete at a minimum meets most, if not all, of the compliance standards that are being set related to our line of products. We are currently researching all the definite answers to how we fit and can further contribute. Check back soon for updates.