S-2 Selecting the Right Sealer
SELECTING THE RIGHT SEALER FOR SUPER-KRETE OVERLAYMENTS
SEALER OPTIONS INCLUDE:
S-8200 TOP SEALER™ (NATURAL LOOK, FOR VERTICAL SURFACES)
S-8500 CLEAR SEAL™ (SEMI-GLOSS, FOR LIGHT FOOT TRAFFIC AREAS)
S-8600 CLEAR SEAL PLUS™ (SEMI-GLOSS, FOR HEAVY FOOT TRAFFIC AREAS)
S-8350 /S-8400 SUPRA-SEAL™ (I or II) (HIGH GLOSS SOLVENT-BASED ACRYLIC/LACQUER SEALER) FOR HEAVY FOOT TRAFFIC AREAS AND VEHICULAR TRAFFIC EXPOSURE INCLUDING DRIVEWAYS)
S-8900 TWO PART URETHANE SEALER (HIGH GLOSS, URETHANE SEALER FOR HEAVY FOOT TRAFFIC AREAS AND VEHICULAR TRAFFIC EXPOSURE INCLUDING DRIVEWAYS, GARAGE FLOORS, GUNITE SLIDES, INDUSTRIAL AREAS, WAREHOUSES, ETC.)
Super-Krete requires that every surface be sealed. Sealing protects surfaces against abrasion and wear, it enriches the color intensity of overlays, stains and paints, and they also add sheen to the surface that ranges from satin to high gloss. Sealers block the penetration of dirt, oil, grease, chemicals, and stains making the surface easier to clean and maintain. They will also prevent the intrusion of water and chlorides, and also minimize freeze-thaw damage. To obtain all these great benefits however, you must select the RIGHT sealer for the job.
Super-Krete has a number of sealers for different applications and uses. The sealer you choose will depend upon factors such as the expected traffic in the area and what type of look is desired. Using the wrong sealer or applying it improperly may ruin an otherwise flawless decorative installation.
Super-Krete sealers are ideal for exterior surfaces because they are UV resistant, non-yellowing and they provide good protection against water and chloride intrusion, but they offer the same reliable protection in interior applications. Super-Krete sealers are always part of a Super-Krete system which means that they will provide compatibility over Super-Krete surfaces. We do not recommend using any sealer other than a Super-Krete sealer. Other manufacturer’s sealers may interact differently with Super-Krete coloring agents, resulting in unwanted side effects such as blistering, bubbling or bleeding of color. There are various types of sealers and there are different carriers for different sealers.
Here’s a brief review of each Super-Krete Sealer, including their characteristics and appropriate uses (you may refer to the Technical Data Sheets of each sealer for detailed information):
1. Super-Krete Top Seal – A natural-look sealer for vertical surfaces only. Do not use this sealer on horizontal surfaces. Top Seal is EXCELLENT for use as a sacrificial coating to protect surfaces from graffiti, soil, and water intrusion. The most common use for Top Seal besides graffiti protection is to prevent the exterior walls on homes from getting dirt stains from soil backwash and landscaping upkeep. Top Seal serves as an excellent protector for stucco, wood and artificial rock surfaces. It’s invisible, yet provides easy maintenance and ultra protection. Top Seal is applied by sprayer, broom or brush. Not approved for vehicular traffic areas.
2. Super-Krete Clear Seal – Clear Seal is a low gloss, water-based acrylic sealer for walking (foot) traffic for interior and exterior use. Clear Seal is the choice for walkways and pool decks. Clear Seal is applied by sprayer, broom or brush. Clear Seal offers abrasion resistance, water repellence, and simple maintenance. Clear Seal Is durable and long lasting, non-yellowing, breathable, and will not soften over time.
Clear Seal is used as a protective, decorative coating over new, old, pigmented and unpigmented concrete, masonry and wood surfaces such as: Concrete Block, Exposed Aggregate, Natural Stone, Pool Decks, Stamped Concrete, Precast Concrete, Fencing & Siding, Brick, Stucco, Pavers, Walkways, Tile, Mexican Pavers, and Wood Decks.
Though coverages may vary considerably with substrate, ambient temperature, method of preparation, surface profile, surface porosity, and environmental conditions, Clear Seal will typically cover 300 square feet per gallon over Super-Krete systems.
Clear Seal dries to the touch in approximately 30 minutes, and foot traffic is permitted after one hour or when it is tack free.
Clear Seal is NOT approved for use in vehicular areas.
3. Super-Krete Clear Seal Plus is a semi-gloss, water-based sealer for high volume foot traffic. Used for both interior and exterior applications. Not for use on driveways. With Clear Seal Plus you get the same advantages and characteristics as Clear Seal, but with even more durability, and a semi-gloss finish.
Apply Super-Krete Clear Seal Plus with a filtered hand-pump sprayer or airless sprayer. Set the airless sprayer at the lowest pressure setting and use a nozzle of sufficient size to prevent atomization. Use a soft-bristle broom to further spread the material and provide uniformity. Do not roll Clear Seal Plus or allow it to puddle.
Clear Seal Plus is to be used full strength, do not dilute. Mix thoroughly with a power- mixer or manually prior to application and shake well. Apply Clear Seal Plus in a light, even coat to lightly dampen surface only. Do not wet out the surface and do not allow it to puddle. Follow the spray application immediately with a soft bristle broom to further spread material. Allow first coat to fully dry (approximately one hour) and repeat the application method until the sealed surface is uniform. Two to three coats of Clear Seal Plus are recommended.
Best results are achieved when one person is spraying and another person is following immediately with a broom and leaf blower.
Not approved for vehicular traffic areas.
4. Super-Krete VOC 93 Clear Sealer is a water-based acrylic/epoxy sealer with a very high gloss finish. VOC 93 Clear Sealer an excellent choice for use on interior floors where the durability of a solvent-based sealer is required, but not the odors, hazards or VOC's. Also for use on countertops and slides. VOC 93 is formulated to create an impervious, protective shield over Super-Krete overlayments to resist petroleum and most chemicals.
Used as an interior or exterior finish, VOC 93 Clear Sealer is a safe alternative to high level, VOC solvent-based coatings and sealers. VOC 93 Clear Sealer provides a tenacious, non-yellowing bond to virtually all types of surfaces including but not limited to decorative concrete, acid stained concrete, exposed aggregate, new concrete, ceramic tile, brick and stone. It is always recommended that Super-Grit® be used to add skid-resistance to VOC 93 Clear Sealer to conform to Coefficient of Friction standards.
VOC 93 Clear Sealer can be used on interiors and exteriors. Its low odor makes it the perfect solution for interior use where ventilation is minimal.
Coverage rates will vary depending upon the porosity of the substrate to be sealed. Based upon coverage over Super-Krete overlayment systems, One gallon will cover approximately 300 square feet per each application. Over painted or previously sealed surfaces, the coverage rate could extend up to 400 square feet per gallon. A minimum of two applications are always recommended, but if extremely heavy traffic is expected, three or even four coats are recommended.
Mix S-8800 VOC 93 Clear Sealer thoroughly before use. Apply by spray apparatus. For small projects a standard hand pump sprayer is used, for larger projects use an airless sprayer. Spray first application lightly and brush material over the surface with a soft bristled broom. Do not allow material to build-up in low areas. Rework the material over the surface in a circular motion and work your way to the exit. If material re-puddles, go back onto the surface and re-spread using the broom or back roll using a one inch nap roller. Allow four hours between applications.
Not approved for vehicular traffic areas.
5. Super-Krete® Supra-Seal (I or II) ™ is a clear, acrylic/lacquer protective sealer designed to provide a high gloss finish while enhancing the appearance of concrete stains and other coloring agents used over Super-Krete decorative overlayments, and concrete and masonry substrates. Supra-Seal can be used interior and exterior applications. It contains an ultra low VOC content that is compliant in the most strictly regulated areas, including southern California. When exposed to UV rays, Supra-Seal will not yellow, and it’s the perfect solution to protecting cementitious surfaces from heavy foot and vehicular traffic. Supra-Seal also protects surfaces from potential damage due to water, dust, stains and dirt. S-8350 Supra-Seal I is for use in California. S-8400 Supra-Seal II is for use outside of California.
Supra-Seal is ideal for lambswool, roller and T-Bar application. Apply to surface thoroughly and uniformly without puddles. Apply only to CLEAN, DRY surfaces. Refer to Super-Krete Specification S-1 for detailed surface preparation instructions. If applying over old seal, test small area to determine compatibility. Supra-Seal is not to be applied on dense stone, including bullnose brick, dense slate, glazed tile, glass or metal. Supra-Seal requires second coat application be applied within 4 to 8 hours of the first coat. If the first coat dries and becomes slick, it will not accept a second coat application. The first coat must be sanded using 120 grit sand paper consistently throughout the surface so that the second coat will properly adhere.
6. S-8900 Two Part Urethane Sealer Kit -
Super-Krete® Two-Part Urethane Sealer™ is a high-solids, very high-gloss, clear urethane protective sealer for use over Super-Krete decorative overlayments, concrete and masonry substrates. This sealer can be used for interior and exterior applications and provides a tough and durable wearing surface. Two Part Urethane Sealer conforms to California federal air quality management regulations, including San Diego County. Two Part Urethane Sealer will not yellow when exposed to UV rays, and it’s the perfect solution to protecting cementitious surfaces from heavy foot and vehicular traffic. Two Part Urethane Sealer protects surfaces from potential damage due to water, dust, stains, dirt and most chemicals. Two-part Urethane Sealer is compatible with all stone and masonry surfaces. Consult local regulations to determine if this product complies with VOC regulations in your area. VOC content for Two Part Urethane is 340 grams per liter maximum.
Approved for vehicular traffic areas.
All Super-Krete sealers are VOC, OSHA and FDA Compliant. If you have any questions regarding which sealer is appropriate for your job, call a Technical Service Representative at 800.995.1716. We look forward to serving you.
Super-Krete products are to be applied only when surface temperatures are above 55° F and rising and not to exceed 100° F. Super-Krete products are not to be applied when precipitation is expected within 24 hours following completion of application.
Do not allow materials to freeze. Each Super-Krete product acts as an inherent part of a proven system. Super-Krete products are professional, contractor grade products. Training in the use of these products is available. Consult Super-Krete for information and assistance locating approved contractors in your area or for training class dates.
NOTE: Super-Krete International, Inc. believes this information to be true to the best of our knowledge and products are of the highest quality and uniform within manufacturing tolerances. Since no control is exercised over product use, no warranty, expressed or implied is made as to the effect of such use and no liability is assumed directly or indirectly, from their use. Buyers and users are encouraged to conduct their own test prior to application.
As with any walking surface, when areas are wet they may become slippery. Super-Krete recommends adding Super-Grit™ during application to any potential slip-fall areas for added skid resistance. However, there is no guarantee against slips or falls in any case where Super-Krete products are applied, regardless of their intended use. Super-Krete is not liable for any slip or fall accidents that may occur on an area where Super-Krete products have been applied.